Plumbing is one of the most crucial systems in any home. It’s responsible for bringing clean water into your household and disposing of waste efficiently. It’s easy to overlook plumbing maintenance until something goes wrong, but it’s important to keep your plumbing system in good working order to avoid costly repairs or replacements down the line. In this article, we’re sharing 11 preventative plumbing maintenance tips that can help you keep your plumbing system functioning smoothly.
11 Plumbing System Maintenance Tips
1. Keep Drains Clean – Avoid pouring grease, coffee grinds, or other food scraps down your drain. Use a drain cover to avoid hair and other debris from clogging your drains, and periodically flush them with hot water.
2. Avoid Chemical Drain Cleaners – Although tempting, chemical drain cleaners can damage your pipes in the long run. Baking soda and vinegar or a drain snake are just as effective and safer to use.
3. Inspect Faucets and Showerheads – Inspecting faucets and showerheads for leaks can save you money on your water bill, and it can also prevent costly water damage. If you notice any drips or leaks, it’s important to get them fixed right away.
4. Check for Water Leaks – Aside from dripping faucets, you should also check for other types of leaks around your home. To test if you have a more significant leak, shut off all the water in your house, then check your water meter. If it’s still running, you likely have a leak.
5. Maintain Your Garbage Disposal – Follow the instructions in your garbage disposal owner’s manual and avoid putting any hard or fibrous foods through it that can damage it.
6. Inspect Your Water Heater – Your water heater is essential for ensuring hot water supply in your home. Inspecting it periodically helps to maintain it and catch issues early, like sediment buildup, which can reduce its lifespan.
7. Invest In A Water Softener – Hard water can damage plumbing systems over time. Installing a water softener in your home can reduce mineral buildup and extend the lifespan of your pipes.
8. Insulate Pipes – Frozen pipes can cause significant damage to homes during winter. Insulating your pipes in areas vulnerable to freezing can protect your plumbing system.
9. Have Your Septic Tank Pumped – If you have a septic system, make sure it’s pumped regularly to avoid septic system failure and unpleasant backups.
10. Have Your Sewer Cleaned – Periodic sewer cleaning will help prevent blockages and backups in your plumbing system. Over time, debris such as grease, hair, and other materials can accumulate in your pipes, leading to clogs that can obstruct the flow of wastewater, resulting in unpleasant odors and unsanitary conditions in your home. Sewer cleaning can also help to maintain the longevity of your plumbing. By removing buildup from your pipes, you can improve the overall flow and function of your plumbing, which can extend the lifespan of your pipes.
11. Call A Professional – Finally, consider scheduling periodic professional plumbing checks to ensure your plumbing system is running efficiently.
Taking care of your plumbing system can save you money and hassle in the long run. Regular maintenance and inspections, along with avoiding harmful practices, will help keep your plumbing system functioning at its best.
Choose Newman’s For Your Yearly Plumbing Maintenance
When it comes to maintaining your home or business’s plumbing, it’s important to entrust the job to a reputable and experienced provider like Newman’s Plumbing. At Newman’s, we understand the importance of regular maintenance to keep your plumbing system operating at peak performance. Our team of experienced technicians have the knowledge and expertise to identify potential issues before they become major problems, potentially saving you a considerable amount of money in costly repairs down the road.
Our maintenance services include drain and sewer cleaning, leak detection, water heater inspection, pipe repair and replacement, and more. We use the latest tools and technology to ensure that your plumbing system is thoroughly inspected and repaired to exceed your expectations. Our technicians always adhere to the highest standards of safety and professionalism.
In addition to maintenance, we also offer emergency plumbing services to cater to critical plumbing situations. We know that plumbing emergencies can happen at any time, which is why our emergency services are available around the clock, 7 days a week. Whether it’s a burst pipe, sewage backup, or any other plumbing emergency, our team is always ready to fix the problem quickly in order to minimize further damage. We hope you’ll make Newman’s your go-to plumbing provider for fast and reliable service in the Hampton Roads area. Call us today at 757-465-0883.